Subsidence and previously underpinned properties
Finding insurance for a property that has suffered from structural movement in the past can be difficult. If you are buying a property that has suffered from subsidence or has been previously underpinned then it is sensible to ensure that you can obtain adequate insurance cover to satisfy your mortgage provider.
Most, if not all, mortgage providers will require that your insurance covers you for subsidence, heave and landslip, so that you are covered should the problem of movement arise again.
There are many signs that a building is suffering with movement but the most noticeable are diagonal cracks in the brick work and plaster, or a door or window not opening and closing as it should. These should be fully investigated by a qualified structural engineer and a structural report obtained. It is likely that you will need this for your mortgage and insurance applications.
Many insurers will not offer cover for properties that have been previously underpinned or suffered movement due to the substantial cost that can be incurred when remedial work is carried out. Therefore, if you are considering buying a property which has suffered movement, you should approach us for advice. We will ensure appropriate cover can be secured early in the purchasing process. It can sometimes take longer than expected to obtain cover and this will likely hold up any mortgage application.
Any future property value may be affected by previous movement regardless of how long ago the damage occurred and was repaired. However the risk of future problems can be reduced by regular maintenance of water drainage systems, also trees and bushes near to the property should be regularly cut back to prevent excessive growth.
Cover available for:
- New purchases
- Recently underpinned properties
- Solutions for property insurance on-going problems
- Historical buildings
- Buildings with no existing cover
Home insurance policies for properties that have suffered subsidence sourced by Invicta Insurance Services Limited include the following key benefits as standard:
- Loss or damage to the contents of your home
- Personal belongings such as jewellery
- New for old replacement of home contents
- Cost of temporary accommodation if your home becomes uninhabitable due to insured damage
- Loss or damage to the buildings of your home
- Fridge and freezer contents
- Cover for garden contents
- Replacement locks and keys
- Accidental damage to home entertainment systems
- Student accommodation cover
- Cover for cash at home
- Extra cover for birthdays, weddings and religious festivals
Your home insurance can be extended to include the following additional benefits:
- Legal assistance cover
- Accidental damage cover
- Personal possessions cover
- Home emergency cover
- Loss of keys cover
More reasons to choose Invicta Insurance Services Limited as your preferred broker:
- Competitive prices
- Flexible policy cover
- Full range of insurance products
- Independent advice from experienced professionals
- Swift and simple quotation process
- Rapid electronic documentation production
- Friendly and personal service
- Dedicated 24 hour claims service
With our long standing expertise in home insurance, particularly with unoccupied homes, we pride ourselves in the excellent service we deliver to all of our clients.
Please call us now for more information on:
Home insurance policyholders can also benefit from motor insurance, travel insurance and legal expenses cover – please ask us for more information